These Vesuvio potatoes are a shining star on any dinner desk. Golden potato wedges roasted to perfection with a zesty mix of lemon juice and oregano are tossed in a luscious lemon-butter sauce with shiny peas to make a splendidly flavorful, hearty aspect dish.
Simple Vesuvio Potatoes
Patate al forno alla vesuviana, or Vesuvian roasted potatoes, is an Italian dish named after Mount Vesuvius, a volcano close to the Bay of Naples in Italy. And if I may wager on it, I’d say Vesuvio potatoes are about to turn into your new go-to aspect dish. Pretty golden potato wedges are evenly coated in an fragrant mix of olive oil, lemon, juice, oregano, salt, and pepper earlier than being roasted to an ideal crispy on the surface and tender on the within. They’re then tossed in a wealthy, flavorful sauce manufactured from butter, garlic, white wine, and lemon juice. Shiny pops of colour come from the peas which are thrown into the sauce on the very finish. Each chunk is a splendidly savory, zingy taste explosion that may have you ever coming again for seconds and craving extra after that.
This hearty potato aspect is extremely simple to make and goes with virtually any entree or aspect you possibly can consider. And when you like this recipe, you may need to take into consideration trying out my Vesuvio Hen.
Why You’ll Love This Potato Wedges Recipe
- Simplicity. Vesuvio potatoes require minimal effort and primary elements, making them excellent for each novice and skilled dwelling cooks.
- Scrumptious. The mixture of shiny, contemporary lemon juice, earthy oregano, wealthy notes of butter, acidity from the wine, and a touch of garlic come collectively to create an explosion of flavors that take easy potatoes and switch them into one thing extraordinary.
- Versatility. I really like you could serve these potatoes with absolutely anything. They pair superbly with varied proteins in addition to different aspect dishes.
What Are Vesuvio Potatoes?
Vesuvio potatoes originate from Italian-American delicacies. They’re sometimes constituted of Yukon Gold potatoes minimize into wedges and roasted with a pleasant mix of lemon juice and dried oregano. What units them other than plain ol’ roasted potato wedges is the of entirety: a velvety butter and wine sauce studded with vibrant inexperienced peas. It’s delish!
Substances for Vesuvio Potatoes
For the potatoes
- Yukon gold potatoes – Peeled russet potatoes would work as effectively.
- Salt & Pepper
- Dried oregano
- Olive oil
For the sauce
- Garlic – Use contemporary garlic, not the jarred stuff.
- White wine – Select a wine you take pleasure in ingesting. It can make a distinction within the closing taste of the dish.
- Recent lemon juice
- Frozen peas
Which Potatoes Are Finest To Use?
I choose a waxy, considerably starchy potato right here. Yukon golds are my favorites, however child Dutch yellow potatoes and even fingerling potatoes will even work. You’ll see folks use russet potatoes as a substitute. You are able to do it, however their floury texture and bland taste profile don’t measure as much as the opposite potatoes, in my view.
Make Vesuvio Potatoes
Right here’s a fast have a look at find out how to make Vesuvio potatoes. You should definitely scroll to the recipe card under for extra detailed directions.
Roast the potatoes
- Prep. Preheat the oven to 425˚F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Season the potatoes. Toss the potatoes with salt, floor black pepper, oregano, olive oil, and lemon juice.
- Roast. Prepare the potatoes on the ready baking sheet and bake for half-hour.
Make the sauce
- Sauté the garlic. Soften the butter over medium warmth, add the garlic, and sauté till aromatic.
- End it off. Flip the warmth as much as medium-high, add the wine, and let it cook dinner for 30 seconds. Add the lemon juice and the frozen peas. Flip the warmth down and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes. Add the potatoes to the pan and toss to coat them within the sauce.
Suggestions & Variations
Get this Vesuvio potatoes recipe proper by following these easy suggestions and methods. Don’t be afraid to experiment a bit to make it your individual.
- Recent lemon juice. Use freshly squeezed lemon juice, pals. I do know the bottled stuff is so handy, however the taste of contemporary lemon juice is simply a lot brighter and higher throughout.
- Constant sizing. Please guarantee even cooking by chopping the potato wedges to a uniform measurement.
- Don’t crowd the pan. Give the potato wedges just a little room to breathe on the baking sheet for higher browning.
- Spice it up. Add a pinch of purple pepper flakes for some warmth.
- Tacky twist. Sprinkle freshly grated parmesan, pecorino, and even crumbled feta over the completed dish.
- Herby enjoyable. Experiment with totally different herbs like rosemary, thyme, or basil for a novel taste profile.
Serving Ideas For Potato Wedges
These scrumptious potatoes go so effectively with a myriad of sides and mains. Listed here are a few of my favourite issues to serve them with.
Retailer & Reheat Leftovers
- Fridge. Enable leftover Vesuvio potatoes to chill utterly earlier than sealing them in an hermetic container and storing them within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
- Freezer. Seal the cooled Vesuvio potatoes in a freezer-safe hermetic container and retailer them within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Enable the potatoes to thaw within the fridge earlier than reheating.
- Reheating. To reheat, organize the potatoes in a baking dish with the sauce and bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for about 15-20 minutes till heated by way of. Alternatively, microwave them in 30-second intervals till heat.
Extra Simple Potato Sides
I really like potatoes. They’re inexpensive and simple to arrange and there’s something so heartwarming about them. When you’ve tried this Vesuvio potato recipe, I encourage you to take a look at these different scrumptious recipes that take the straightforward potato and switch it into one thing price writing dwelling about.
Roast the potatoes
Prep. Preheat the oven to 425˚F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Season the potatoes. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix the potatoes, salt, floor black pepper, oregano, olive oil, and lemon juice. Toss to coat the potatoes evenly.
Roast. Prepare the potatoes in a single layer on the ready baking sheet and bake for half-hour or till golden brown and simply pierced with a fork.
Make the sauce
Sauté the garlic. Soften the butter over medium warmth in a big, heavy-bottomed skillet. Add the garlic and sauté for 15 seconds or till aromatic.
End it off. Flip the warmth as much as medium-high. Stir within the wine and let it cook dinner for 30 seconds. Add the lemon juice and the frozen peas. Flip the warmth to medium-low and cook dinner for 1 to 2 minutes or till the peas are shiny in colour and heated by way of.
Add the potatoes. Add the freshly roasted potatoes to the pan and toss to coat them within the sauce.
Take away from warmth and serve.
- Potatoes: Go for waxy, barely starchy varieties like Yukon gold or child Dutch yellow for the perfect taste and texture. Russets will even work.
- Soaking: Contemplate soaking the potatoes in chilly water for about half-hour earlier than cooking to take away extra starch, producing a crispier texture.
- Consistency: Guarantee even cooking with uniformly minimize potato wedges.
- Lemon Juice: At all times select contemporary over bottled for a brighter, superior style.
- House Out The Potatoes: Keep away from crowding the baking sheet to attain optimum browning.
- Spices: Add warmth with a splash of purple pepper flakes or totally different spices like paprika or cayenne for a little bit of a kick and a depth of taste.
- Cheese: Improve taste with a sprinkle of parmesan, pecorino, or feta.
- Herbs: Experiment with herbs like rosemary, thyme, or basil for numerous flavors.
Energy: 445 kcal | Carbohydrates: 53 g | Protein: 7 g | Fats: 25 g | Saturated Fats: 12 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 10 g | Trans Fats: 1 g | Ldl cholesterol: 45 mg | Sodium: 1316 mg | Potassium: 1167 mg | Fiber: 9 g | Sugar: 5 g | Vitamin A: 706 IU | Vitamin C: 100 mg | Calcium: 84 mg | Iron: 3 mg | Internet Carbs: 44 g
Dietary information is an estimate and offered as courtesy. Values might differ in response to the elements and instruments used. Please use your most popular dietary calculator for extra detailed information.